Japanese food is literally my favorite food on the planet. It always gives me this level of comfortableness I love finding in food. This Japanese Tofu Katsu Bowl tastes amazing and is easy to prepare. Made out of simple, wholesome ingredients this Japanese Tofu Katsu Bowl will not only make your mouth water, but is good for you too!
What is Tofu Katsu?
Tofu Katsu is the veganized version to Chicken Katsu. Chicken Katsu is traditionally prepared with fried crispy chicken, rice and vegetables. It is served with a Japanese sauce, called Tonkatsu sauce. However, luckily chicken can be easily substituted with tofu. Also I made sure to create a vegan Tonkatsu sauce and taaaa-daaaa we have a delicious veganized Japanese Tofu Katsu Bowl.
How to make Tofu Katsu?
Preparing Tofu Katsu is actually pretty easy. First, you wanna start off with the tofu. Prepare the tofu with coating it in breadcrumbs and bake it in the oven or fry it in a pan. I personally prefer to bake it in the oven, because I like to cook without oil whenever possible. However, if you prefer the tofu fried, you can prepare it in a pan with a little bit of oil and fry until crispy. While the Tofu is crisping up in the oven, you can cook up your rice and cut your veggies. I personally used carrots and red bell peppers for this dish. I just them into little sticks and placed them over the rice, when It was ready. After, I prepared the sauce – mixing ketchup, soy sauce, maple syrup and Sriracha together.
Finally, if you try this Japanese Tofu Katsu Bowl out yourself I would love to see you tag me on Instagram @aboutannella. I always love to see your recreations! You can also follow me on Pinterest for more inspiration.
Japanese Tofu Katsu Bowl
For the Crispy Tofu
- 2 blocks Tofu
- 1 cup Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 cup Soy Milk
- 1/2 tbsp Flour
For the Bowl
- 2 cups Rice
- 4 whole Carrots
- 1 whole Red Bell Pepper
- 3 tbsp Spring Onions
For the Vegan Tonkatsu Sauce
- 5 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 5 tbsp Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 1/2 tbsp Sriracha (adjust the heat to your liking)
For the Crispy Tofu
- First, preheat the oven to 170C degrees.
- Next, prepare the Tofu. Cut it into cubes.
- Next, mix the Soy Milk together with the Flour into a bowl. Mix well, until everything is incorporated. This is gonna form your wet mixture. Spread out the Breadcrumbs in a separate bowl. This is gonna form your dry mixture.
- Using separate hands, dip each cube of Tofu into the wet mixture, then transfer to the dry mixture and coat evenly with Breadcrumbs. Then, place the coated Tofu onto a Baking Tray. Repeat with the remaining cubes of Tofu.
- Bake the coated Tofu for 30-35 minutes at 170C degrees in the oven.
For the Sauce
- Next, prepare the Sauce. In a separate bowl, add in the Soy Sauce, Ketchup, Maple Syrup and Sriracha. Mix together until everything is well incorporated.
For the Bowl
- Then, wash and prepare your veggies. Cut the Carrots and the Red Bell Pepper into thin sticks.
- After the Tofu has crisped up, you are ready to assemble the Bowl. Place the Rice on the bottom and spread it out evenly. Then, place the prepared veggies and the crispy Tofu on top of it. If you want, you can cut the Tofu into little slices. Drizzle on the Vegan Tonkatsu Sauce. Top with Spring Onions. Enjoy!