Looking for a plant based egg alternative? This Fluffy Chickpea Omelette recipe will definitely blow your mind! This Fluffy Chickpea Omelette is ready in just about 10 minutes and is made out of nourishing ingredients.
It’s also a great alternative to tofu scramble. I mean don’t get me wrong, I think we all appreciate a good tofu scramble. But I would totally lie if I would be saying that I don’t want to mix it up from time to time. So this Chickpea Omlette is a great choice if you are craving a plant based breakfast. This recipe is naturally gluten free and of course it is dairy free as well.
Ingredients you will need for this Vegan Omelette
Chickpea flour is a pulse flour made from a variety of ground chickpeas. It may be made from Bengal gram (the smaller Indian desi chickpeas) or Garbanzo beans. Chickpea flour provides a really fluffy texture and is also naturally gluten free.
Nutritional yeast or Nooch is a basic staple in my pantry. It has a natural nutty and cheesy flavor and multiple nutritional benefits. Yeast is a single-celled fungus which feeds on sugar (carbohydrates). Nutritional yeast refers to varieties specifically grown for human consumption. Regularly, it’s made from a strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Unlike living brewer’s yeast and baker’s yeast nutritional yeast has been deactivated (killed). Nutritional yeast has multiple health benefits like providing a rich amount of B vitamins and minerals as well as being high in complete protein.
Plant based milk
I personally used soy milk for this recipe because I thought that it was the best fit. However, feel free to use any plant based milk that you have on hand. Just make sure that it’s not sweet.
Turmeric is a member of the ginger family. It is commonly used as a spice, but it is also known for its medicinal purposes. It is thought to benefit heart and brain health. For this recipe it helps adding a bit of color and also provides some nutritional benefits.
This is one of the key ingredients for this recipe. Black salt or Kala Namak does add an eggy flavor to this dish. Kala Namak is an Indian black salt that comes from the Himalayan rocks. Due to its high sulfur content, it’s perfect for all dishes that profit from an “eggy” taste and smell.
Pepper & Garlic Powder
Adds more flavor to the vegan omelette.
You can kind of use any veggies you want here. I used red onions, garlic and mushrooms. However feel free to mix it up.
This recipe is:
- Vegan and vegetarian friendly
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
If you enjoyed this recipe you might also like some of my other sweet breakfast recipes too:
If you prefer savory breakfast you might want to try out this delicious Sweet Potato Chickpea Hash recipe! It tastes absolutely amazing and is good for you too! And let’s be honest, who doesn’t love a wholesome breakfast bowl, am I right?
Fluffy Chickpea Omelette
For the Chickpea Omelette
- 1/2 cup Chickpea Flour
- 2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Black Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 3/4 cup Plant Based Milk
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
For the Veggies
- 1 whole Red Onion
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms
- 1 handful Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Spring Onions (Optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the Chickpea Flour, Nutritional Yeast, Black Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder and Turmeric. Whisk well.
- In the same bowl, pour in the Plant Based Milk. Mix well and set aside.
- Next, dice the Red Onion and mince the Garlic. Slice Mushrooms as well as Cherry Tomatoes.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add in the instructed Olive Oil. Make sure the pan is fully coated. Next, pour in the chickpea batter. Cook for about 3-4 minutes or until the batter starts to form bubbles. Flip, then cook for additional 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Next, add in the prepared veggies to the pan. Add in a splash of water or a little bit more oil, if needed. Cook until tender.
- Add the veggies onto the prepared omelette and fold the omelette over. Garnish it with Spring Onions and serve with Ketchup, Bread and Mashed Avocado.