Learn how to make flavorful and nutritious Egg Fried Rice that can be ready in just about 15 minutes. This no-fuss meal is super easy, tasty and satisfying. What I love most about this recipe is that you can easily modify it with whatever vegetables you have on hand. There are many ways how to make fried rice – today I’ll share a variety of ideas with you to customize your fried rice.
Ingredients you will need for this Egg Fried Rice Recipe
- Oil: For this recipe is best to use any neutral oil, that does not have a lot of flavors. I personally used sunflower oil for this recipe, but any other neutral oil works well.
- Rice: I like to use Jasmine rice, but honestly most rice will work just fine. So you can use any rice that you have on hand.
- Eggs: You will need two medium-sized eggs. Please, make sure that they are organic and ethically sourced. I like to purchase mine from the farmers market.
- Green onions: For flavor.
- Carrots: You will need 2 large carrots for this recipe. Chop it as finely as possible.
- Red bell pepper: I used 1/3 of red bell pepper. Chop it finely.
- Hoisin sauce: If you have never heard of hoisin sauce it is made with fermented soybeans, garlic, chili and sugar. It is a great way to add authentic Asian flavor, thickening and color to this Egg Fried Rice recipe.
- Soy sauce: For additional flavor.
Is Fried Rice good for you?
Depends on what you add! Fried rice is made with oil. The amount of oil you add will determine the nutritional value. If you add a lot of oil – it is not gonna be the healthiest meal. In my opinion, adding 2 tablespoons for 1 cup of rice is enough – but you do you! You can also increase the nutritional benefits by adding in different types of veggies or protein sources like eggs or tofu.
And remember – homemade fried rice is always better for you than a takeout version. If you make it yourself, you know exactly what is in there and are able to control specific ingredients.
Tips for making the Best Fried Rice
Use cold rice: This is super important. Fresh, warm rice is not gonna fry well and will result in soggy and sticky clumps of rice. So leftover rice is ideal for this recipe. If you don’t have leftover rice, you can also experiment with packaged rice or just make the rice ahead of time and let it completely cool down before frying it.
Use neutral oil: I highly recommend that you use neutral oil and avoid any oil that has a lot of flavors like olive oil. Try to stick to neutral oils like canola oil, grapeseed oil or sunflower oil.
Use different veggies: I love adding veggies to this Egg Fried Rice recipe. It helps adding in more nutrients, colors and variety of flavors.
Use high heat while cooking: Using high heat will help to fry everything well and also prevent the rice from steaming and sticking together.
- Change up the veggies: You can add in peas, broccoli, edamame or any other stir-fry veggies that you have on hand.
- Add in tofu: If you want to keep this recipe plant-based or simply want to add in more protein, tofu is the way to go. I recommend adding in firm or extra-firm tofu and crumble it into the dish.
- Add some heat: If you like it spicy, you can add some chili flakes to taste or drizzle on some Sriracha at the end.
- Substitute the rice with quinoa: If you don’t feel like using rice, you can use quinoa instead.
More Asian inspired recipes
If you are looking for more Asian inspired recipes, you might also like:
Finally, if you try this Egg Fried Rice recipe out yourself, please let me know what you think. Rate this recipe or leave a comment below, I always love to hear your opinion. I would love to see you tag me on Instagram @aboutannella if you recreate this recipe at home. You can also follow me on Pinterest for more inspiration.
Egg Fried Rice
- 1 cup cooked rice cold
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 medium-sized organic eggs
- 3 green onions thinely sliced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 1/3 red bell pepper diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- Heat a skillet with 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat.
- Add in the sliced green onions and cook them for about 2 minutes, stirring consistently.
- Using the same skilllet, add two cracked eggs until scrambled, stiring occasionaly.
- Then, add in the diced carrots and red bell pepper.
- Next, add in the rice along with the soy sauce and hoisin sauce. Continue stirring for an additional 3-5 minutes. Taste and season with extra soy sauce, if needed.
- Turn off the heat and serve warm. Leftovers will keep in the fridge up to 3 days.
- If you want to keep this recipe plant-based you can substitute the eggs with tofu scramble by crumbling in firm or extra-firm tofu. If you want to create an eggy flavor, I’d highly recommend using black salt. Just make sure that you add it in just before serving, as it will lose some of its flavor otherwise.
One thought on “Easy Egg Fried Rice | 8 Ingredients”
This is actually a terrific blog post. Many thanks for posting it!
Feel free to surf to my web page – stephen hinkes [Arletha]