This Creamy Mushroom Ragu with Polenta tastes absolutely delicious. Made with chanterelle mushrooms, fresh herbs and hearty spices, this recipe definitely does feel like comfort food to me and is perfect for those days where you just want something filling and cozy. Although the combo of tasty polenta and creamy sauce feels totally indulgent, this recipe is still relatively healthy. Also, this Creamy Mushroom Ragu with Polenta comes together in just about 20 minutes and is very easy to make.
And in my opinion, the Mushroom Ragu and the Polenta do match perfectly. This combo is literally soooo good! Never heard of Polenta? Don’t worry – I’ve got you sorted.
What is Polenta?
Polenta is an Italian staple that can be transformed into sweet or savory dishes. It originally comes from Northern Italian and is made from coarsely ground yellow corn. Polenta has always been popular for its simplicity and versatility. That being said, it can be prepared with some salt & pepper, butter, or even parmesan cheese. Of course, we all know by now that we like to keep this blog mostly plant based. So you can use vegan butter instead or even mix in some nutritional yeast if you wanted to.
How to make Polenta
Cooking Polenta can be a bit of a hassle, if you have never tried it before. It definitely does need a bit of attention while cooking. Also, I would highly recommend to follow the instructions on the package before you start cooking as the cornmeal used will dictate the cooking time and the amount of liquid needed. In order to achieve a creamy and delicious tasting polenta it is key to stir it regularly. This will prevent the polenta from sticking to the bottom of the pot and lumps from forming. Your polenta is done when the texture is creamy and the individual grains are soft.
How to make the Mushroom Ragu?
While my Polenta was cooking, I prepared my Mushroom Ragu as well. This might require some multi tasking, but it is definitely possible. And as I said before, the Mushroom Ragu is pretty easy and effortless to make. I fried some diced onion as well as some minced garlic in a pan at first and later added in the chanterelle mushrooms. In order to make the vegan, creamy sauce I added in some soy cream along with a few tablespoons of nutritional yeast and a dash of salt & pepper. I made sure to stir everything well, then let it simmer for a few more minutes. For serving, I garnished the Mushroom Ragu by sprinkling fresh thyme all over. This step is optional, but in my opinion – it makes a big difference. And that’s it. Easy right?
This Creamy Mushroom Ragu with Polenta is definitely an absolute winner for me and I will definitely keep making this meal again in the future. Mhhh-hhhm! If you liked this recipe you may enjoy some of my other recipes too:
Creamy Mushroom Ragu with Polenta
For the Polenta
- 1 cup Polenta
For the Mushroom Ragu
- 1 whole White Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 500 g Chanterelle Mushrooms
- 1/4 cup Soy Cuisine
- 3 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 tbsp Fresh Thyme
For the Polenta
- Check out the instructions on the package before you start cooking as the cornmeal used will dictate the cooking time and the amount of liquid needed.
- In a large pot, according to the instructions bring the required amount of water to a boil.
- Add in the salt.
- Sprinkle the Polenta into the pot. Use a wooden spoon to stir it into the water. The polenta and water should form a paste after about 2 minutes.
- Keep stirring it with a spoon for about 10 minutes or until the texture is creamy and the individual grains are soft.
For the Mushroom Ragu
- Wash and prepare your veggies. Dice the White Onion and mince Garlic. Slice the Chanterelle Mushrooms.
- Pre-heat a nonstick skillet to medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of water or oil to the pan. Then add in the diced White Onion and minced Garlic. Sauté over medium heat until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Using the same skillet, add in the Chanterelle Mushrooms. Sauté for 5 more minutes.
- Stir in the Soy Cuisine. Add in the Nutritional Yeast, Salt and Pepper. Stir until the ingredients have combined properly.
- Let it simmer for a few more minutes or until the sauce has thickened noticeably.
- Turn off the heat. Divide the Mushroom Ragu evenly into two bowls. Garnish with Fresh Thyme and serve with the prepared Polenta. Enjoy!