Vegan Pad Thai is my absolute Go-To Dinner of all time. It is super easy and quick to prepare. This Authentic Vegan Pad Thai is not only made out of fresh, healthy ingredients but also tastes absolutely delicious. Winner!
What is Pad Thai?
Pad Thai is a traditional dish that has its origin in Thailand. It mostly consists out of rice noodles, stir fried veggies, tofu or seafood. It is commonly served as street food on asian food markets.
Can Pad Thai be vegan?
Traditionally Pad Thai is not totally vegan. Usually the dish contains fish, eggs or meat but is always a 100 % dairy-free. However, it can be easily adjusted in order to make it a plant-based meal. Tofu is already an essential ingredient in the asian cuisine. This makes it super easy to swap out the meat or fish – it is traditionally served with tofu anyway. In order to substitute the eggs it is essential to use a little bit more coconut milk. Other than that, you are good to go!
How to make Pad Thai?
Making Pad Thai is actually super easy and does not take longer any longer than 20 minutes, which is why I absolutely adore this recipe! The needed ingredients are simple and wholesome – but also totally adjustable. This makes it the perfect way to use up your leftover veggies. I personally used paprika, tomatoes, carrots, green onions and garlic – but feel free to chuck in whatever you feel like. Usually broccoli, bok choy or sprouts do really work great as well.
Moving on to the cooking part it gets even easier. No need to cook your rice noodles – just soak them in warm water for approximately 15 minutes before you use them. Meanwhile you can cut your veggies and fry them in the pan. Then, add your pre-soaked noodles with some soy sauce, maple syrup, a tiny bit of water and coconut milk. After only 5 minutes of cooking time you are ready to enjoy. Top it with some peanuts, green onions, cilantro and a drizzle of lime juice to finish it off. So simple and easy but so incredibly tasty!
Finally, if you try this Authentic Vegan Pad Thai out yourself I would love to see you tag me on Instagram @aboutannella. I always love to see your recreations! You can also follow me on Pinterest for more inspiration.
Authentic Vegan Pad Thai
For the Veggies & Sauce
- 1 White Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 Red Pepper
- 3 medium sized Carrots
- 200 g Tofu
- 200 g Rice Noodles
- 1/4 cups Ground Peanuts
- 1 1/2 cups Soy Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups Coconut Milk
- 4 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1-3 tbsp Sriracha (reduce for mild heat)
- 2 tbsp Green Onions
- 2 tbsp Cilantro Leaves
- 1 Lime
- First, presoak the Rice Noodles in warm water. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Next, wash and prepare your veggies. Mince the White Onion and Garlic. Slice the Red Pepper. Grate your Carrots. Cut the Tofu into cubes.
- Then, add the minced Onion and Garlic with a splash of water to the pan. Sauté over medium heat until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Using the same pan, add in the rest of the prepared veggies. Sauté again until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Next, add the presoaked Rice Noodles to the pan. Pour in the Soy Sauce, Maple Syrup, Coconut Milk and Sriracha. Add 1/2 cup of water to the pan as well the Ground Peanuts. Mix, until everything is well combined. Let it simmer for about a minute or so or until the sauce has thickened.
- Turn off the heat and stir the Lime Juice in. Divide the Pad Thai into three bowls and top them with Cilantro Leaves, more Ground Peanuts and Green Onions. Enjoy!
- Maple Syrup can be substituted with White or Brown Sugar.
- Soy Sauce can be substituted with Tamari or Coconut Aminos.
- Enjoy the Pad Thai fresh out of the Pan, otherwise the noodles will stick together afterwards.